Essentially non-toxic, biocompatible, and biodegradable waste from the seafood industry, chitosan offers broad-spectrum pathogen control by artificially inducing the plant’s immune system.
In agriculture, it has been used in seed, leaf, fruit and vegetable coatings, sprays, and as fertilizer with astounding results.
Chitosan not only protects plants against harmful microorganisms but it helps to increase plant productivity. For you, this means a bigger yield and higher quality product come harvest.
How is chitosan derived?
Chitin — the main component of the exoskeletons of shrimp, crab, lobster — is one of the most abundant organic polymers found in nature. Chitosan is the deacetylated form of chitin, typically derived by treating the exoskeletons with an alkaline substance like sodium hydroxide. Insects, mites and spiders are also comprised of chitin that can be derived for agricultural purposes.
What are the benefits of using chitosan in agriculture?
The use of chemical pesticides may enhance your fruit and vegetable yield but not without serious environmental and health concerns.
Not only that but plant pathogens are becoming increasingly resistant to traditional chemical pesticides. What worked for farmers in the 1940s doesn’t have the same impact today.
Fortunately, the agricultural industry has evolved tremendously over the years and so have plant protection and enhancement products.
How will chitosan help my crop?
The many demonstrated benefits of chitosan application in agriculture include:
● Improved yield due to direct effects on plant nutrition and plant growth stimulation
● Increased absorption of essential minerals which enhance the plant’s nutritional value
● Crop resistance against harmful microorganisms including a wide variety of deadly fungi, bacteria and viruses
● Improved plant survival in high heat and cold environments
● Stimulation of growth and activity of beneficial microbes
● As an anti-transpiring agent, chitosan may help to preserve water resources used in agriculture
HYSHIELD is a unique, powerful, and natural formula that offers your crop all the pathogen prevention benefits of chitosan. Designed to be effective in a variety of growing media and compatible with all water-soluble nutrients and supplement programs, HYSHIELD promises a pest-free growing season along with a bigger and brighter yield. Learn more about HYSHIELD and get growing today!
- A Guide to Proper Tank MixingTank mixing various combinations of pesticides, fertiizers and other liquid […]
- What is Nutrient Lockout and How Can I Prevent It?To optimize plant growth and yield, it’s important to monitor […]
- How to Successfully Germinate Seeds for HydroponicsHealthy, high-yielding plants require high-quality seeds and an ideal environment […]
- On March 4, 2020